emailtwitterfacebook

November 8, 2012

Grown up songs for kids!

Not sure about you, but my toddler has recently gone through a cling-to-Mommy phase, and he likes to suck his thumb and hold my hand. And about the millionth time I heard him whine, "I want to hold your hand, Mommy" I couldn't help but break out the Beatles tune. And he seemed slightly annoyed, "That not a song!"

Whoa: how am I letting this happen? Some of my happiest memories are of singing along with my parents in the car to their music - and to this day there are certain songs that just (happily) remind me of one parent or another. My mom seemed to only have two tapes in her car - kids songs and the Beach Boys greatest hits. My dad was definitely a classic rocker, and would - annoyingly- rewind songs so that I could be clear on the exact lyrics (and when I was older, give me some of the 'hidden' meaning behind them). But now I really love all kinds of music - thanks to them.

So I broke out the iPad and found a video of the Beatles big break into rock n roll, and then we were on a mission to find more songs that were fun for both of us.

This morning (a few weeks later) when he asked again, "I want to hold your hand," I replied with, "And when I..." He responded, "touch you, I be happy..." This made me happy, and a little teary (I am sure some pregnancy hormones are at play) that I was getting to pass along a little family tradition.

So below is a list of songs that I think both parents and kids can enjoy and find fun. Maybe I will put them all on a CD for the car (to replace "Wheels on the Bus" for the millionth time), or just to have handy to hit up YouTube while we wait in the doctor's office (there are some kid friendly videos to go along with many of these, too!)

I want to hold your hand - the Beatles
Octopus' Garden - the Beatles
Yellow Submarine - the Beatles
At the Zoo - Simon and Garfunkel
Me and Julio - Paul Simon (the Sesame Street performance is cute, too)
ABC -  Jackson 5
Rockin Robin - Jackson 5
Wild Thing -  The Troggs (because we have a little Max at our house)
She Drives Me Crazy - Fine Young Canibals
Dance, Sister, Dance (Baila Mi Hermana) -Santana (get some Spanish lessons in, too!)
Puff the Magic Dragon - Peter, Paul, and Mary

Other suggestions-

Curious George Soundtrack - Jack Johnson
Cheeseburger in Paradise - Jimmy Buffett
Your Personal Penguin - Davy Jones
Mocking Bird - Carly Simon & James Taylor
Happy Face - Destiny's Child
Father and Daugther - Paul Simon
Camp Grenada - ?
Johnny Cash children's songs
Not for Kids Only - Jerry Garcia and David Grisman
Bob Marley
If I had a Million Dollars - Barenaked Ladies
Ob-la-di, Ob-la-da - The Beatles
Take me Home, Country Road -?
Kiss Me - Sixpence None the Richer
Bohemian Rhapsody - Queen (the Muppets on this YouTube!)
Somebody to Love - Queen
Penney Lane - The Beatles
Walking on Sunshine - Katrina and the Waves
We will Rock you - Queen
Eye of the Tiger - Survivor
Don't Worry be Happy - Bobby McFerrin
One way or Another - Blondie
Jump - Van Halen
Another One Bites the Dust - Queen
They Might Be Giants (adult and kids's albums - Here Come the ABC's, 123's ,Science or No!)

No comments:

Post a Comment