emailtwitterfacebook

October 3, 2010

Cloth Diapers for a Working Mom: Day 3

So I had some good experiences today!

Laundry: I was worried that more poop had stained these brand new diapers. I wondered if I was washing them incorrectly? Or waiting too long before washing (1-2 days)? Then I remembered something I'd read a lot about in my research, that lots of mom's praised the power of the sun to fade staining. The rain had finally let up and it was sunny (though chilly), so I let them dry outside on the porch. Only a few short hours later they were dry and stain-free. Even the thirsties cover whose white piping had stained on the first wearing, and I thought was already a lost cause. And the best part - drying outside was faster and cheaper than running the dryer for 3 cycles!

Reusable cover! Finally M only had a wet diaper in the Thirsties duo. Even though he was wet after only an hour, I finally got to try my hand at changing only the prefold. It really wasn't much different from changing a regular diaper, except I am not so graceful with the snappi yet, and I am super-paranoid about making sure all the edges of the prefold are tucked in. Also, I can't help but wonder if he wouldn't have felt wet in such a short time in a disposable, but then again, this is supposed to be the aspect that helps with potty training, right? This left me with the promise of a longer stretch of using cloth for the day!

Soon, I will sit down with the math to see how long it would take for a stash of cloth to pay for itself (in part time usage, that is)... this could be the real pivotal point for us...

No comments:

Post a Comment